Sunday, July 13, 2008

The Faith of Children

It is interesting to see the way my children perceive God, and are coming to their own conclusion as to who He is and journey towards relationship with Him.

Troy is going to be our Spiritual Warrior, I believe. From a very young age, he has been keenly aware of the spiritual world; he can see demons, and God has displayed Himself to Troy in ways we know he could not have heard about elsewhere. He is musical in such a way that he picks up a song in no time flat, and you can hear him singing praise songs throughout the day. He will sit and watch a praise and worship dvd for it's entirety, singing along very quickly with the words. He actually, at the tender age of 7 got up on the platform at church and sang a whole song (into a microphone) with the worship team with no embarrassment or fear. Interestingly, his name, Troy Alexander, means Foot-soldier, Defender of Men. I believe this to mean that here on earth, he will be on the ground, fighting the battle at the front lines, defending mankind from demonic influence and oppression. I pray this for him, and that God will help him live up to the name He gave him.

Bethany, I think, is going to be the quiet, yet firm believer. Her faith will not waiver, and her God will never be questioned. Her name, Bethany Alana, means House of God and Rock respectively. My prayer for her is that she truly will be the house of the Holy Spirit, and that he resides in her fully. I also pray that she will stay as solid as a rock in her faith, and that people will know that when she speaks, she speaks the Word of Truth.

Amy is our worshiper. She can pick a christian song from a secular song in a heartbeat. From the age of 8 months, she was lifting her hands in worship during church. She still does it now, even at home, when we have music going. She claps, and dances and cheers. It makes my own heart sing to see her so free in her love of worship at such a tender age (2)

Eli's life was prohesyed by God Himself. I was driving one day, when the twins were only really little, and I heard, clear as day "You will have a son. His name is Eli Benjamin". That was all. I never heard it again, but it burned it's way into my heart so profoundly I can still hear the voice of my God, even though Eli is now here. I've done a little bit of research, and correct me if I am wrong here, but I believe that in the Bible, whenever the Lord spoke to a parent about the birth of a son (and named him in some areas) that child has always grown up to become a prophet. If I am correct- how exciting! What a huge burden for me, as a mother, to make sure I parent him in a way (with the help of the Lord) that this becomes a reality. Eli Benjamin means Highest Son of My Right Hand. That floored me completely when I read that. This small baby of mine has a huge name to live up to.

However, of all my children, it seems that Drew is the one who will have a deep, abiding love of Christ and the gospel that is unparalleled. God saw fit to name him Drew William: Manly, Strong Warrior. I am strongly inclined to think him our evangelist, teacher or preacher, as just today, I overheard him talking to Bethany saying "Jesus is coming back, but not yet""Why?" questioned Beth"Because He died, but he's alive again, but He's not here yet""When?""Don't know... just not yet."

Oh, you have no idea how it warms my heart to hear my child have that surety that not now, but sometime! He doesn't mind when... he just knows He will.

Somedays, it just hits you, the overwhelming, heavy task and burden we have placed upon us to raise these children for God.

Has not the LORD made them one? In flesh and spirit they are his. And why one? Because he was seeking godly offspring. So guard yourself in your spirit, and do not break faith with the wife of your youth. Malachi 2:15

Fathers, do not exasperate your children; instead, bring them up in the training and instruction of the Lord. Ephesians 6:4

For I have chosen him, so that he will direct his children and his household after him to keep the way of the Lord by doing what is right and just, so that the Lord will bring about for Abraham what he has promised him. Genesis 18:19

God is very specific that we should rear children in the faith of the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob, and in the Lord Jesus Christ and his saving, atoning Grace. Parents' failure to raise and teach their children in the fear of the Lord is a sin of ommission for which we will be held accountable at judgement.

At that time I will carry out against Eli everything I spoke against his family—from beginning to end. For I told him that I would judge his family forever because of the sin he knew about; his sons made themselves contemptible, and he failed to restrain them. Therefore, I swore to the house of Eli, 'The guilt of Eli's house will never be atoned for by sacrifice or offering.' 1 Samuel 3:12-14

For although they knew God, they neither glorified him as God nor gave thanks to him, but their thinking became futile and their foolish hearts were darkened. Romans 1:21

Yet I hold this against you: You have forsaken your first love. Revelation 2:4

How humbling. How devestating! Not only do we have their earthly lives as our responsibility, but also, to an extent, their eternal lives as well. We are not alone though! We have promises to cling to...

He tends his flock like a shepherd: He gathers the lambs in his arms and carries them close to his heart; he gently leads those that have young. Isaiah 40:11

Train a child in the way he should go, and when he is old he will not turn from it. Proverbs 22:6

It is exceedingly comforting to me that I have the Lord, the Father God to help me raise his children, the next generation of worshipers and warriors. Daily, I can lean on HIm, and have Him guide me. He knows my children more intimately thatn even I, and He knows what penetrates to them, that resounds to them... what will guide them what will nurture them, what will raise them up as disciples.

And He is also the One that quiets my soul, stills my temper, and guides my tongue. He who checks my spirit when I fail, is also the One who forgives me with open arms when I come, broken, dejected, weary and, quite frankly, over it. He is the lifter of my head, all the strength I require on this path He has placed me.

Oh that I will prove worthy! That my children will be pillars of strength in His Church. That they will go forth with the Sword of the Spirit, the sword that is a double edged sword that penetrates to the depths, that it's held high and with pride. I pray the helmet of salvation will be firmly on their head, protecting their minds and ears from the arrows of the Enemy. That the that the belt of truth be tightly fastened around their waist, securing the breastplate of Righteousness in place. That the breastplate is so thick that there is no way the arsenal of Satan can wound or scar their heart or soul, and that the knot on their belt is so tight that the Truth cannot fall away from them. And that on their feet are the sandals of the peace of the Good News in preperation for battle and the journeys they take the non-believing on towards Saving Grace. And, of course, that they have in place the Shield of Faith to go before, to be the first thing that takes the onslaught... that it will be solid and inpenetratable... and that they have the strength to lift it and keep it in front of them.

In the last days, God says, I will pour out my Spirit on all people. Your sons and daughters will prophesy, your young men will see visions, your old men will dream dreams. Even on my servants, both men and women, I will pour out my Spirit in those days, and they will prophesy. Acts 2:17-18

*All emphasis mine

1 comment:

bek said...

Wow! That is really really cool!

Your kids sound amazing, and you do to being their mum & all!!!!